As the days go by, my mind grows more attuned to the simple, little, beautiful sources of my pleasure and I would like to share them with you. These things don’t cost much if they cost anything at all.
I must tell you that it’s tough, tough, tough, not having a steady income, but I’ve also learnt to literally become a minimalist and my sense of deep appreciation for the small things have deepened beyond measure.
I digress. Now to the 50 shades of things that make my heart glad. They are in no particular order.
- The cuddle and warmth of a new baby.
- The wonderful smell of a new book.
- The outlay of books in the library or bookstore.
- Office supplies and notepads.
- The frisky frolic of a happy puppy, baby animals excluding snakes and other creepy crawlies.
- Good music and Saturday mornings.
- A well-stocked pantry.
- An early morning walks when the air is crisp and fresh.
- The sounds of birds chirping. I try to decipher their conversation, unfortunately, I don’t speak chirp.
- Watching the sun rise and set.
- The tinkling laughter of a child.
- The quiet hum of my home in the wee hours of the morning.
- A scalp massage from the fingers of a dear one.
- Foot rub after a hard day.
- A pretty bud and fresh flowers.
- The rich smell of coffee and coffee shops. I think I’ll end up owning one 😉
- The sound of Beethoven that my husband plays when he’s shaving *don’t ask me why.
- An ice cream on a cone on a hot day.
- My bare feet planted on the cool floor under my work table.
- Singing loudly to myself – though I can barely carry a tune.
- The sound of rain.
- Smiles. When I make someone smile.
- Gazing up at the stars.
- Seeing happy people
- The smell of freshly cut grass.
- Watching my children dance.
- Dancing – I love dancing.
- Listening to my fave songs on repeat.
- Morning mist on untouched plants.
- Warm heartfelt hugs, forehead kisses, and deep conversations.
- Getting lost in the pages of a book.
- Sleeping on my bed or just lying in and lazing there.
- Quiet moments to myself.
- A nice soak in a warm bubble bath.
- Christmas time
- Sweets: chocolate, cheesecake, chocolate cake, hot chocolate. I am an unrepentant chocoholic.
- Finishing a crossword puzzle
- Things that make me laugh.
- Tea time with a pretty tea set – sounds silly but it just makes me sigh in contentment.
- Pretty candles and meditation.
- Cooking and watching others eat it with appreciation. Sharing food with others is filling.
- An unexpected gift.
- Seeing an elderly couple holding hands 🙂
- Freshly washed bed sheets.
- Looking at old photos and reminiscing.
- Finding bargains
- Making friends
- Picnics at the park – I can’t wait for the weather to get cooler.
- A clean house and family time.
- Finishing things on time.
As I wrote this list, I realized I had many more things that I could include, like the warm cup of corn and mushroom soup (homemade) that I’m enjoying right now. I will share the recipe with you in another post.
So tell me, what are your shades of pleasure?