There are many gateways that lead us to our individual pleasures but there’s only one true pathway to happiness and the track runs through you.
The key that unlocks our happiness lies within us and can’t be found elsewhere. Outer factors may contribute to our state of bliss now and again, such as: recognitions and prestigious awards, salary raise, exciting new relationships, fancy gadgets, weight loss, new home, travelling etc. These things can contribute in making us feel great at the initial stage, however, that buzz and thrill does not last very long as we are quick to adapt to changes and those positive things that made us happier at first fast become our new normal and we return to our previous happiness baseline.
Positive psychology shows that a person can truly increase their happiness and overall satisfaction with life which does not necessarily entail winning lottery ticket or material stuff or some sort of drastic change of circumstances. What it takes, is an inner change of perspective and attitude and this is something that anyone can do.
When we fail to settle down and dig deeper to unlock the essence of who we are, we tend to fill our days with activities, going through the daily motions of surviving and are left feeling listless and dissatisfied with life.
If you feel like this, now’s the time to start searching for the missing link and hopefully, the answer will click. The journey to a happier you can often be lonely but you can improve your experience by surrounding yourself with positive and happy people, value yourself and your relationships, keep the beautiful memories and positive experiences closer in mind, achieve goals and appreciate them no matter how small.
- Train your brain to be more positive: express gratitude, give sincere thanks to others, find the positive sides of negative events from your past (not the easiest task but you can reevaluate a negative past event keeping your eye on what you learned or how you became stronger, wiser, or more compassionate.
- Go spiritual and seek to understand one’s inner life better in order to act more wisely.
- Nurture and enjoy your relationships: Make a conscious effort to stay connected, invest in quality time with the people you care about, offer sincere compliments, take delight in the good fortune of others, seek out happy people
- Live in the moment and savour life’s pleasures: meditate, practice mindfulness, adopt enjoyable daily routines, minimize multi-tasking, recollect happy memories and do stop to smell the coffee or the roses.
- Focus on helping others and living with meaning: practice kindness, volunteer, play to your strength by building your activities around those things that allows you to use your strengths for greater good.
- Take better care of your health: get quality sleep, eat balanced and nutritious meals, exercise, relax the mind…
We all want to live happier lives and this is possible. I hope that you found this article useful.
Feel free to check me on Tiktok below and you can always join my Livestream to make new friends. Hope to see you one of these days.