Finally. I believe that I have succeeded in crawling out of the doldrums. There are days that run into weeks and then months when creativity flows freely through your fingers and mind and feels like the easiest thing ever, then there are those days… that seep into weeks… and then months… when you are lost and in a total stump.
When this happens, we deeply feel that something is amiss. Things generally seem harder and somehow the rudder of our direction stagnates or at worse will be over the place. How do we re-center ourselves? How do we reignite our passion to continue doing those things that we most enjoy? How do we declutter, distill the disturbance, and climb out of the miry bog?
Most certainly, there is no ‘one size fits all’ approach to such a dilemma. However, we can prime the pump and flow of inspiration in our lives by taking some simple steps and these steps are what I am trying to retrace. Not so much to find out where I fell off the track but to attempt to get back on track and fall in love again with those things that bring me joy.
I can’t even explain to you how the past few days of getting back to blogging, making my short videos on Tiktok, YouTube and Instagram makes me feel. I feel better. I feel less pained and guilty. I feel a deep sense of satisfaction and I intend to keep it that way; so help me God.
Here are a few practical steps to apply should you ever find yourself in such a rut.
- Be grateful for where you are at the moment and thankful for the potentials that the future holds.
- Seek and find joy in the little things happening around you. Find laughter. It matters a lot.
- Declutter your mind. Ask yourself what you are really feeling and try to understand why.
- Define and refine what creativity and inspiration means to you.
- Remind yourself of those things that you really love.
- Revamp your thought process and approach where possible.
- Don’t make big plans, take baby steps one day at a time.
- Take time to reflect and let your imagination flow. It may be jumbled and rusty but just go with the flow.
- Be humble and keep learning.
- Make your creative moments fun.
What self-help tips and suggestions do you use and recommend to others to try?