Thoughts become things and it’s our inaction or reaction that gives negative thoughts its sustenance. Jacqueline
Negative thoughts drain our energy and prevent us from enjoying our present moments. The more we dwell on them, the bigger they become till they take a life of their own and become difficult to uproot.
For example, it’s so easy for a word wrongly said by one partner to the other to spiral from that single word to each party visualizing a negative future that would most likely not occur.
When these negative thoughts start brewing, it’s hard to stop them. Shifting ones’ focus to positive thoughts may not be easy to do but with practice it ‘s effective.
Shifting thought patterns is the only way, especially if you want to avoid going down a path that is painful and unnecessary.
Try these simple tips to help shift your thought pattern.
- Read positive quotes
- Switch the tone of your thoughts from negative to positive even if at first it seems difficult.
- Listen to meditative music or play music that makes you happy.
- Always remember that there’s always a way out. You are not stuck.
- Get out of your own head and take the focus away from you to someone or something else. Help someone else and shift your balance.
- Sing, dance, and smile 🙂
- Mentally make a list of things that you are grateful for and remember that no one is perfect.
Carol’s words on preparing for setback is just the right pep-talk one needs on rough days.
Psalms 94:19 – In the multitude of my thoughts within me thy comforts delight my soul.